Monday, July 20, 2009

In Bloom

My sister Laura, 29 weeks pregnant, looking awesome.


When I first saw her, I was shocked. I had this feeling like what happened to my little sister? I had seen pictures, but I hadn't seen her in person since December, and in person the belly just looks so different. So three-dimensional. But now I'm used to seeing her pregnant, and it's been fabulous getting to feel the baby move around and kick her with these tiny, bony little limbs.


Is it a little bittersweet, being with my in-bloom sister so soon after losing a pregnancy myself? I would be lying if I said it wasn't. Of course I am so happy for her and Jason, and I love getting to be around her while she's pregnant. My own sadness doesn't diminish or even really change my feelings about Laura's pregnancy. She looks so beautiful.


I do wish we were still going to have babies only a few months apart. Though there would have been no way for me to keep up with her on the trail if I were still pregnant.


My sister's and Jason's last name is Mann, and Mikhail came up with our nickname for the baby: Mann Cub. This is what comes from watching too much of your child's Jungle Book video.

No comments:

Post a Comment