Friday, April 29, 2011

for writer/artist/parents

IMG_3479
view over SF Bay from the Lawrence Hall of Science, Elan's new favorite place

Have I ever mentioned that the money-making part of my writing life is freelance grantwriting? I had a few small jobs last year, and I've been working part-time steadily since Emry was born. Even though I don't make much (I'm writing grants for non-profits, after all), my work has been a helpful piece of our ever-evolving employment puzzle this past year. But what I'd really love, of course, is to be paid for my creative work.

So when I heard about a grant for writers and visual artists who are also parents (of children under age 18), I was pretty excited.

The Sustainable Arts Foundation is a non-profit foundation supporting artists and writers with families. Our mission is to provide financial awards to parents pursuing creative work. Too often, creative impulses are set aside to meet the wonderful, but pressing, demands of raising a family. The foundation's goal is to encourage parents to continue pursuing their creative passion, and to rekindle it in those who may have let it slide.

How cool is that? Check it out here (deadline May 15, some preference for San Francisco Bay Area residents).

I have to admit that I was tempted not to share news of this grant. My thinking was: there will be plenty of competition - why should I go out of my way to create more? But, though it is sometimes difficult to find evidence to back up this thinking, I would like to trust that there is room enough for all of us creative souls to make our way in the world. The ups and downs of the last 16 months have taught me that while living with a good dose of frugality is fine by me, feeling closed-off, over-protective and stingy is not. Despite the news and the way the economic crisis has impacted my family, I am choosing to believe in the possibility of abundance.

Abundance: an extremely plentiful or oversufficient quantity or supply; overflowing fullness; affluence; wealth.

So go for it - apply! I know I will.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I'm glad you posted this, although I already knew of it, I too, believe in abundance and can relate to your feelings. I am applying too, and maybe they have recently changed it but according to their website, the deadline is 5/20/2011.

    ReplyDelete